Articles: | PC Video | Web Media | DVD & CD | Portable Media | Digital Imaging | Wireless Media | Home Media | Tech & Society |
PC Video: | PC Video Articles | Video Software Gallery | Video Editing Resources |
Summary: Ulead VideoStudio 11 (5/2007)
by Douglas Dixon
See also: Summary: Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6
Ulead VideoStudio 11 was released in April 2007, still focused on easy consumer editing with more automated assists for creating quick movies and snazzy-looking movie-style opening sequences ( www.ulead.com/vs).
VideoStudio is also bulked up with the latest technologies, especially for editing high-definition formats including AVCHD, with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, authoring to HD DVD discs, and exporting to portable devices like the Apple iPod and Sony PSP with MPEG-4 and H.264 format support.
VideoStudio is available in two editions:
- The base Ulead VideoStudio 11 for capturing video and images from any source, editing movies, and sharing on tape, DVD and the Web (USD $89.99 suggested retail).
- The full Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus with MPEG-4 support, new high-def technology (HDV, AVCHD, HD DVD, Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound), enhanced portable device support (MPEG-4 and H.264), and the full set of easy corrective and creative filters ($129.99).
You can download trial versions of VideoStudio and related applications over the Web, so go ahead and give it a try.
VideoStudio 11 Editor
Find Ulead VideoStudio on Amazon.com.
VideoStudio offers three working modes:
- Use the VideoStudio Editor for full editing with a step-by-step workflow to capture and import clips, organize on a storyboard or timeline, and then enhance your production with overlays, animated text, video filters and effects, and audio. The Plus version adds an expandable timeline and expands from 2 to 6 video tracks for overlay picture-in-picture and montage effects.
- For new users, use the Movie Wizard to quickly assemble a preview movie from clips (including capturing from HD camcorders). Choose a design theme, with multi-layered templates for an opening sequence. Organize and trim video clips and stills on a storyboard, with transitions. Also automatically create and photo slideshows with Smart Pan & Zoom.
- To transfer from DV tape direct to DVD disc, use the DV-to-DVD Wizard. Hook up your camcorder, choose the clips, and automatically generate a finished DVD complete with menus, titles, transitions and music. San the tape at up to 11X speed, and save tape digests with thumbnails for reference.
Plus, VideoStudio has built-in DVD authoring to create fully-interactive DVD or HD DVD [Plus] discs with motion menus and submenus, including 16:9 widescreen. Customize menus by resizing and positioning buttons. Apply smooth menu transitions between menus and DVD content, and menu filters to create movement even on static menus.
- Capture from tape camcorders (DV, HDV, AVCHD), with batch capture,
- Multi-format: Mix all supported formats on the timeline,
- New Expanded Timeline for multiple overlay and audio tracks
- Video enhancement: Anti-Shake and Enhance Lighting filters
- Overlay video for picture-in-picture and montage effects, fade
- Audio import and rip from CD, filter and adjust speed, pitch shift
- New Templates for animated Hollywood-style openings
- New MPEG Optimizer to choose best compression settings when
combining clips in multiple formats
High-definition editing and disc authoring [Plus]
- High-def editing: Real-time HD Editing without proxies on
- Expandable Timeline: View all overlay tracks [Plus]
Filters and Effects
- Corrective Video filters
New Encoding Options
- MPEG Optimizer analyzes bitrates of all clips on timeline,
Title and Subtitle Support
- Rotate titles to any angle directly in preview window
Enhanced DVD Menus and Authoring
- New Content: Overlay Flash animations, Movie Wizard Video &
Slideshow Style Templates; HD DVD menus [Plus]
- Create movies for mobile devices
Bonus Software [Plus]
- InterVideo WinDVD 8 Silver: software DVD player for any video and audio files, including AVCHD